RSS

The Greatest Show on Earth

Jessica Rolf Filed Under:
This weekend we went to the circus with John's family. As we made plans to go, I couldn't help but think of what I remember the circus being like as a child. My memories of the circus include strange looking people that smelled weird (both in the audience and working at the show!), a hot, humid, giant tent, and elephants that had huge chains around their feet. The whips cracking, tigers snarling and the strange feeling that someone (including myself) could die at any moment all overwhelmed me. Needless to say, it wasn't a very pleasant experience for me. With this in mind, I wondered if I was subjecting my son to something that would scar him for life by taking him to the circus. And then I realized that this is the big city and things are done a little differently here. For one, this circus is actually in an air conditioned facility, something that should be required for all events like this in Texas. Secondly, our seats were in the upper section of the American Airlines Center, which would be a safe distance from the stampeding elephants (if such a thing were to occur). Yes, I am crazy and think about these things.... And so, after showing Dean some youtube videos of clowns to prepare him for the circus (I know, I really am crazy), we headed to the Greatest Show on Earth!

And what a fun night we had! The best part of the whole night was watching Dean. He clapped and cheered with the rest of the audience, his face lit up with excitement when the elephants came out, and he never shed a tear because he was afraid of a clown (thanks youtube!). For me, it was also an enjoyable experience and completely different from my childhood memories. The costumes were bright and clean, the performers were actually talented (and looked as if they also had good hygiene), and the animals looked healthy and happy as well. So I am now a big fan of the circus. Although I was a little disappointed that I didn't get to enjoy my favorite thing of all, cotton candy! I just wasn't willing to shell out $12 even though it included a brightly colored top hat that would come in handy if I ever needed to dress up like Willy Wonka...or Elton John...or Flava Flav.

edit post

2 Responses to "The Greatest Show on Earth"

  1. The Coopers Says:
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.
  3. The Coopers Says:
  4. Glad you are back to writing, pics or not. You are so good. Glad you had a good visit with the in-laws and your grandmother. I so know what you mean by the smells and the house looking like it did 30 years ago. Grandmothers are greatness!

Post a Comment