RSS

Nanamaw's House

Jessica Rolf Filed Under:
Dean and I loaded up with Melissa and enjoyed a long weekend in Lubbock recently. There is nothing like going to grandma's house or in my case, Nanamaw's house. The familiar smell greets me when I walk in the door. It is the neutral smell of a house, a family, a person. Every house has a smell and this smell just seems right. My eyes quickly sweep the room and realize that the furniture is still in the same place. There are two long sofas, two large recliners, a large console TV, and Nanamaw's blue lift chair that is situated in the back corner of the room. How all this fits in the tiny living room is a mystery to me, but it is necessary seating for all the family gatherings that happen here. The sound of the Ranger's game on TV almost drowns out the sweet voice that greets me and if it were any other way, it wouldn't be right. The decorations on the walls and the lamps on the tables are all decades old and remain unmoved, silently remembering past trends...for some reason this comforts me. And the same open arms that have hugged me for thirty years are once again there to embrace me. I love my Nanamaw's house.

edit post

0 Responses to "Nanamaw's House"

Post a Comment